(The Post Millennial) – It was just this week that Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced a revocation to his unprecedented emergency act, which was declared in an unprecedented manner following massive protests by truckers and others in an event dubbed the ‘Canadian Freedom Convoy.’
Unfortunately, despite the protests’ recent termination, the Canadian government is not done cracking down on their citizens yet. The Post Millenial all but confirmed this in a newly released report about Freedom Convoy leader and organizer Pat King, who was denied bail after his arrest during the demonstrations.
Justice of the Peace Andrew Seymour said that King’s actions related to the convoy were “an attack on the rule of law.” He also added that he believed King would “reoffend” should be released.
Seymour also said evidence of King participating in the convoy was “overwhelming,” pointing to social media videos showing his involvement.
“That evidence paints a portrait of an individual who has clear intention to continue his protests and is indifferent to the consequences,” he ruled.
Seymour then opined on what he seemed to view as a horrifying case, claiming that King’s desire to protests lessened faith in Canadian institutions. The judge had no similar comments about Justin Trudeau’s decision to suspend existing Canadian law in order to declare convoy protests illegal; maybe that is just a coincidence.
“The impact of what can only be described as an occupation was significant and widespread,” he said. “It shook Ottawans and Canadians’ faith in institutions such as government and the police to protect them. The alleged offences are extraordinarly serious.”
“In short, it is an overwhelming case.”
Pat King is not the first freedom convoy organizer to be charged; Canadian authorities targeted convoy leader Tamara Linch earlier this week, also denying her the opportunity of posting bail.
Much like the previously mentioned case, a judge told Linch that she was in part denied bail because they feared she would continue to protest.
“There is a substantial risk you will continue these actions and will not abide by an order,” the judge told Lich. “Your recent history in our city … satisfies me that you’re detention is necessary for the safety and protection of the public.”
Lich faces a mischief charge, which is serious, reportedly threatening the convoy organizer with up to 10 years in prison.
“The accused is liable, upon conviction, a lengthy term of imprisonment,” the judge said.
— Joe Warmington (@joe_warmington) February 18, 2022